May 2, 2009

Decisive Election

It's official. Three to one, readers of Icelandic Fever proudly proclaim that they live to eat, rather than eat to live.

I like to picture thousands of you out there: gourmands (many of you), bon vivants, connoisseurs, gastronomists, gourmets, and gluttons (me). Are we in better shape, exercising more so that we can also exercise our love of eating good food? Do we enjoy life more? Do we socialize more, as we sit at the common table? Even though survey results weren't mammoth, our appetites are. I like to think that it was a truly representative sample.

very little food on my plate

Don't know about you, but we're off to bike to the gym. Then we'll come home and enjoy chocolate croissants. (just kidding!) Did you notice how many of the food terms in this post are French? Is there a reason for that? Maybe we'll find out on the choir tour to France, 2010!

11 comments:

ג. ג. said...

It took me awhile to realize that I eat to live and not vice versa. Hope I'm not spoiling your count ;)

Darien Fisher-Duke said...

Well, that would skew the results a bit. Results are tallied, Guy, so you may as well come over to our side. ;-)

lab munkay said...

"I eat there fore I am."
I totally live to eat.

Darien Fisher-Duke said...

Ha! Munkay, when are you going to share a link to your restaurant review? I might be coming out to see you this summer...

Professor Batty said...

I was one of the "eat to livers" (live to eat liver?) as well. I enjoy good food (especially with a nice Tempranillo.) It has something to do with my upbringing, dinnertime was not a happy time during my childhood.

Professor Batty said...

P.S.: I'm ready with Atom Station

Darien Fisher-Duke said...

Batty, it sounds like you have come over to the live to eat side? Or not?
Atom Station will probably take me another couple of weeks. April and May are c-r-a-z-y around here ;-) I'll let you know when I am close...

Anonymous said...

this all reminds me of a good book:

'much depends on dinner,' by margaret visser

well, i think i first learned to think differently about food from a college professor who'd have me over at his place for wine and duck.

and since I couldn't, he also taught me how to dance, saying, 'just point at the lights!'

Darien Fisher-Duke said...

Wow, Margaret Visser was almost 20 years ahead of Michael Pollen! I missed this book...sounds most excellent.

Re dancing, are you talking, like, Saturday Night Fever?!

Anonymous said...

yeah, she's great. if you get a chance listen to her on the radio. she has this raspy voice. i think she smokes like a chimney.

and, yeah, i don't really dance that way, but, it came in handy in one of those sort of out-of-place dance-club-situations that I had been dragged to. never again!

Unknown said...

I absolutely live to eat!
I like the way you think ~