Oct 23, 2007

Iceland Lite

Iceberg, by Clive Cussler. "A Dirk Pitt Adventure." 1975.



If you'll pardon the pun, this one left me pretty cold. I read it because I haven't read a Cussler before, and most of this one takes place in Iceland. Basically, it's like an Ian Fleming that leans more toward adventure than espionage, although this particular Cussler has espionage as well. Dirk Pitt is a close cousin of James Bond, with similar comic book depth. Some typical examples:
"Yes," Pitt said, smiling. "You're going to buy me the finest gourmet dinner in all Reykjavik, round up all the booze I can drink, and introduce me to a sensuous, buxom, Icelandic nymphomaniac."
-----
The brandy was beginning to get to him now, but his mind was still running with the smoothness of a generator.
Anyway, the interesting story is the similarity that Clive Cussler bears to his hero, Dirk Pitt. See for yourself.

No comments: