May 23, 2006

Tainted Blood: a Reykjavik Murder Mystery
by Arnaldur Indridason, 2004
Translated by Bernard Scudder




Original Icelandic edition 2000. First published (in English) in Great Britain with the title Jar City, 2004. Indridason won the Nordic Crime Novel Award for this book. Coined "a chilling read"--is this tongue in cheek?

I enjoyed this book and expect that, as with any strong mystery series, the main characters will grow on me with each book. I prefer mysteries that have strong character development. The mystery doesn't have to be complex in order to completely stump me. This book was a good mixture of a challenging mystery and above average character development. I look forward to future installments.

On the horizon: Silence of the Grave was published in English in 2005, and Voices is due out in August 2006.

Do you have any Icelandic mysteries to share?

1 comment:

Professor Batty said...

...this book is now a movie, directed by the great Baltasar Kormákur, its title in Icelandic is Mýrin. I watched it in Reykjavík in October, before I read the book. It's pretty good- funnier and more gruesome than the book!